Re: [IP] Prednisone and Shingles- Help!

>The doctor says it's shingles and wants me to start on high dose
>prednisone to prevent postherpetic neuralgia (lingering pain in the
>affected area that can last for months/years after the sores have healed).
>I am so scared at what to expect with the steroids and my blood sugars.
>Thank goodness for the pump.....but I'm still scared. Anyone to give words
>of advise? Lisa

I broke out with a case of hives a few years ago.  I was given a steroid
medpack for it.  What I did was keep a close eye on my bgs and pretty much
ended up raising all my basals .3 while I took the steroid.  This helped
put my bgs back in good range.  I only was on the medpack for about a week,
and I had to be careful after that so that I wouldn't crash too badly when
the meds wore off.  It took about 2 weeks for that to happen.  My CDE told
me to start at .1 raise and go up from there.  Good luck.  YMMV.