[IP] Re: insulin-pumpers-digest V6 #472

In a message dated 7/18/2002 12:05:17 AM Central Standard Time,
email @ redacted writes:

> Subject: [IP] confusing numbers!
> here's a summary of my BS numbers this evening. any explanations would be
> appreciated...
> 5:30 (dinner)-- BS of 114. Ate 85 g. carb and bolused my normal ratio to
> cover a salad, 1/2 p.b. sandwich and bottle of gatorade.
> 7:10-- Felt low and tested at 46! Treated low with a juice box and 4 peanut
> butter crackers.
> 7:45-- BS of 65. Ate 1/2 a pb&j sandwich and 7 mini oreos. Bolused .7 to
> cover the extra carbs I technically didn't NEED with the cookies.
> 8:45-- BS of 66. Ate a handful of Skittles and 1/2 cup of juice.
> 10:00-- BS of 125 (FINALLY!)
> 11:30-- BS of 267. AHH!!!!!!
> what might be going on here??!?!
> two thoughts on th matter
1 when I try to correct for lows using food with fats like peanut butter my
bs is slow to respond.  Before the pump I usually had peanut butter so the
fat would work on the long acting insulin but with the pump that is not
2After one of my first lows in the 40 range and i started eating the glucose
tabs  I tested about every 15 min but the level did not come up with 4
tablets every 15 min.  Then it dawned on me that insulin was still going into
my body so I put the pump on hold for an hour.  My bs came up I started the
pump again and all went well
hope this helps.