2 1/2 c Plain flour
1/4 c Plain flour for kneading
1/2 ts Ground cardamom
Oil for deep-frying
-----TO FINISH-----
1 c Icing (confectioners') sugar
1/2 ts Ground cardamom (optional)
1/2 c Finely chopped pistachios

*Note: Pistachio nuts should be blanched. Optionally, same amount of
finely chopped walnuts may be used intead of pistachios.

Beat eggs until frothy, beat in sugar and salt. Stir in milk and oil. Sift
flour, add half to egg mixture and blend in with wooden spoon. Gradually
stir in remainder of flour, holding back about 1/2 cup. Turn onto floured
board and dust with some of reserved flour. Knead for 10 minutes until
smooth and glossy, using more flour as required. Dough will still be
slightly sticky. Cover with plastic wrap and rest for 2 hours.

Take a piece of dough about the size of a large hazelnut and roll out on a
floured board to a circle about 8-10 cm (3-4 inches) in diameter. Gather
up dough on one side and pinch, forming a shape resembling an elephant ear.
Place on a cloth and cover. Repeat with remaining dough.

Deep fry one at a time in oil, heated to 190 C (375 F) turning to cook
evenly. Fry until golden, do not over-brown. As dough is rather elastic,
the pastry tends to contract with handling, so just before dropping pastry
into hot oil, pull out lightly with fingers to enlarge.

Drain pastries on paper towels. Sift icing sugar with cardamom if used and
dust pastries with mixture. Sprinkle with nuts and serve warm or cold.
Store in a sealed container.

Alternative topping: Make a syrup with 1 cup sugar and 1/2 cup water.
Bring to the boil when sugar is dissolved and boil for 5 minutes. Dribble
syrup onto warm pastries and sprinkle with cardamom and nuts.

Some of you have compared Funnel Cakes to Elephant Ears. I'm not going to
take the time to compare the above recipe with the Funnel Cake recipe that
was posted here, however, I have a cousin who delivered bakery flour to
several donut houses. He said that all the donuts were made from that same
flour, but a twist, or different twist, or frying, or baking, etc. would
each make a different flavor without changing any ingredients.

There was a cinnamon bread that I used to buy at our grocer's bakery. Really
like it, then the sprinkled sugar over it to bake it. The flavor changed
with just doing that. If you've ever eaten a cinnamon-sugar donut and a
cinnamon twist, there's a difference.

I still will say I prefer the elephant ears to funnel cakes. There's more
dough for the same amount of fat - imho. ;)

In my opinion, we don't devote nearly enough scientific research to finding
a cure for jerks. Calvin (& Hobbes)