[IP] High blood sugars after exercise

Not everyone fits the typical patterns.  I have two diabetic sons and both have very different reactions to the same things.

When my first son (now 16) started on the pump, we were puzzled by the soaring blood sugars.  Eric is an extremely active, athletic boy who plays football, basketball and baseball and puts out 110% at all times on the field.  He tends to go high during exercise and low 5 or 6 hours afterward unless we compensate for the calories burned then.

I got some books on exercise physiology and found that this is normal, particularly in people who are extremely fit.  It is caused by some other hormones that are released during strenuous exercise.

What works for Eric is to have both food and insulin before exercising (he takes his usual amount of insulin).  When he is done exercising, we have to be conservative with the insulin used to correct the high or he bottoms out.  What we do is to have him eat (mostly carbs) and deduct insulin from what is needed to cover the food and the correction.  Usually he will take the usual correction amount and we allow "free carbs" (no insulin for the food) - the number of free carbs is determined by the amount of time he has been active and what he has been doing.  He has slightly different reactions to different sports with football having the most dramatic affects on his blood sugar.

The hardest time is the first few weeks of football practice where the high school does "two a day's" - they practice from 9-12 and 2-5/6 with lunch and a meeting in between.  On those days, he does the free carbs at lunch to cover the morning exercise and might only take half of the usual correction amount since he is going to drop off in the afternoon.

The best thing you can do is to test often and figure out what your body does during different activities.  You may not be having rebounds - your body may just work a little differently than the "typical" person's.

Good luck!