[IP] Funnel Cakes

From: Gale Pinckney email @ redacted
RE:  Funnel Cake recipe

So many of you were curious about what a funnel cake was and how they are
made, here is a recipe for one.  Enjoy.

Funnel Cake
The Amish call this fried dough cake 'drechter kuche'.
3 to 4 cups of flour
3 eggs
2 cups milk
1/4 cup sugar
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
powdered sugar for topping
vegetable oil for deep frying - heat to 375 degrees
Beat the eggs, then add the sugar and milk. Sift 2 cups of flour, the salt,
and the baking powder and add to the milk, sugar, and egg mixture. Mix while
adding more flour until the batter is smooth and not too thick.
The funnel should have an opening of at least 1/2 inch and be able to hold
around a cup of batter. Put your finger over the bottom and add about a cup of
batter. Remove your finger and allow the batter to pour into the center of the
oil. Be careful, the oil may splash!
Gradually swirl the batter outward in a circular motion, or criss-cross back
and forth to make a cake about 7 or 8 inches round. We used to draw our
initials to personalize our cakes! Check it with a pair of tongs and turn it
when the bottom becomes golden brown. When both sides are done, remove with
tongs and let it drip on a paper towel.
Funnel cake is often served with powdered sugar on top. You could also use
molasses, maple syrup, or fruit preserves. Enjoy!