Re: [IP] Travel Meltdown

 Jenny (13) and I just finished 3 1/2 weeks of traveling and everything
went very well. In fact, I can't even imagine traveling without the pump.
The first 8 days were with her 8th grade class to Washington DC and New
York. The itininary was jam packed, with a lot of walking in 95 degree
weather. Her glucose levels were great during the day, but I checked in
the middle of the night most nights because the excercise caught up with
her and she dropped low. We carried Capri Sun juice containers with us
all the time. She needed one as we were passing through security to go on
the US Capitol tour. That was fun.

The second trip was to No. California (we live in So. California) for a
work team with the church high school group. Traveling days in the car
caused her to run high, but we just did correction boluses. Work days
caused drops at night again, but the Capri Sun was available.

I'm wondering if stress is a big factor in the travel meltdown issue.
Jenny was having a blast so stress wasn't an issue.

Kay

James Parsons wrote:

  Have to agree with you on all accounts, especially the fat. Pumping at home
  has been great, but I am disappointed with traveling. Although pump is
  exceedingly more convenient than MDI, for me traveling, especially flying,
  is problematic. Constant checks and balancing. Not fun. Seems like the body
  knows, despite what technology we throw at it, that 1) one's routine has
  been disrupted and 2) it's five or six miles above the earth. Makes me
  wonder how pump implants and other experimental tech in development would
  work under such conditions.

  JP