From: <email @ redacted>
To: <email @ redacted>
Sent: Wednesday, July 17, 2002 11:12 AM
Subject: [IP] Travel Meltdown

> Being 39 and diabetic since 1976, I have traveled a lot, but not with the
pump.  The experience was horrible but I survived.  I left for four days to
Oklahoma City driving for hours a day and flying here and there-So here is
what I learned to put in MY book:

> 1. Take 2x3 of the supplies you'll think you'll need
> 2. Take 1/2 CC and 1 CC syringes and expect to use them with a good ol'e
fashion bottle of Humalin Regular
> 3. Be prepared to double your basal rates and then some
> 4. You can bolus all you want to bring down high BSg's but does the phrase
"ineffective insulin pool waiting to go off" sound like a good idea? (ie:
refer to point #2 above)
> 5. Don't let your insulin get Xrayed at the airport- It may or may not
hurt it but it will throw you in a panic when you see your BSg's rising
> 6.  Pack the Lantus- Your BSg's will still be high but you'll have a back
up plan that might actually might work-
> 7.  Don't eat fat, period, none, nada- stay on the narrow path-
> 8. Don't chart your BS'gs without aspirin-
> 9.  Yes Virginia, you really can double your dialy insulin requirements
and still average 50 ponts higher than normal-
> 10. Realize you will be home again and all the bad men will be gone-
>
>  I am back to normal after just a day- I was glad all my perscriptions are
at Walgreens so it made getting replacement perscriptions easy being out of
state-  But it was not the insulin- Nothing I did made a significant
difference in gaining back control except for coming home- I was
dissapointed that the fact I used a pump made no difference in my problems.
I found injections were more effective under stress vs the pump- Mostly due
to the huge amounts of insulin needed to combat my travel stress making my
pump sites very sore and ineffective-