From: Sherry Compton [mailto:email @ redacted]
Sent: Wednesday, July 17, 2002 9:20 AM
To: email @ redacted
Subject: [IP] Hypo last night..

I had a hypo last night when my husband was out working. I was home
alone with my wild fourteen-month-old Sean. I remember feeling very
sleepy around 8:00 and laying my head down on the couch with the baby in
my lap. Then I remember thinking, "Maybe I should test..." and I was 41.
Usually at that number I can function pretty well, but every low is
different I guess. My husband called to check on me and could tell I was
low so told me to eat something. I was in the kitchen getting some
icecream to share with the baby when someone knocked at the door. It was
my mother-in-law who lives a block away. She ended up sitting with the
baby while I ate the icecream. My husband says he didn't call her and
she never did say why she had stopped by right then. It's not that I
mind him being worried about me, especially with the baby there, but I
just wish he would tell me if he DID tell her to come check on me. I
don't really like the idea that I need a babysitter, but I hate the
conspiracy idea even worse. "Shhh... don't tell Sherry that we all have
to call or stop by to check on her..." Anyway, I do feel that I would
have been fine. I was in the kitchen getting the icecream scooped when
my mother-in-law knocked. And I was still containing a wild-walking baby
and an energetic puppy too! I know I need to do something though. I
hadn't had dinner that day, and that could be what caused the low. But I
thought I didn't have to eat on a schedule anymore!  I thought my spiffy
pump was about freedom as well as control! But I guess basals are never
perfect with stress and hormones and stuff... But I resent that I am
going to have to move back to scheduled eating so that I don't have to
worry about being able to take care of my son. I have a nightmare image
of me being in a stupor while he's happily trying to climb the furniture
or eat coins he's found under the couch. Sometimes I just want to yell
"It's not fair, it's not fair, it's not fair!!!!" When I was running
high all the time before trying to get myself under better control on
MDI, I didn't have these problems. I know I was potentially doing myself
harm in the long term, but it's not comforting to think of the long term
when you don't feel in control NOW.

Sherry C
>From the massive city of Bowling Green KY
Who wants to feel like a competant, smart adult who doesn't need a
sitter and can take care of herself and her son