RE: [IP] D5W

At 08:00 AM 7/16/2002 -0400, you wrote:
>Susan [mailto:email @ redacted] wrote:
> > Please forgive my ignorance but what is D5W?

You are not ignorant.  I apologize for not explaining it better.  Since I
have had so much recent experience in the hospital I am being to talk like
them. :-)

>  Why do they use it during
> > surgery and how does it affect your blood sugars?
>D5W means dextrose (=glucose) 5% in water.  It's used to make sure the body
>has a continuing energy source as well as an open line into a vein for rapid
>medication if necessary.

If can have the exact line without the glucose which will raise your
BS.  If you were going to be not eating for several days then it could be
an issue as far as an energy source, but for surgeries it is fine to go

Fran, who has lost count of her surgeries the past 9 months and went
through all of them without D5W