Re: [IP] Surgery Wednesday....HELP!!!

Hi Cheri,

I saw your post on IP.  Am scheduling some surgery myself (cataract).  I had
the other one done 3 years ago when I was still pretty new to pumping, and
here's what I learned:
1)  make sure everyone knows you have the pump, & intend to keep it on &
monitor your own BG.  Your plan for Dad to do that is great.  I relied on my
husband likewise.
2)  Get "orders" for staying on pump in writing from your endo (at this
point, have him/her do a fax).  Keep a copy with you in the gurney if
3)  Call the anesthesia person in advance.  Tell him/her about the pump, have
the endo's order faxed to him/her
4) be aware that often the IV anesthesia is laced with dextrose.  make clear
you don't want dextrose in your IV.
5)  be politely firm about all matters pertaining to pump, BG, 'betes.

I had a not-great experience the first surgery as far as the pump went.  It
seemed to throw everyone into a tizzy, but I stuck to my guns & kept it on.
If I'd followed the "standard procedure" (take off pump, no morning insulin,
IV with dextrose), I'd have been in acidosis.  I think they were just
concerned I'd have a hypo on the table so they overcompensated.  This time
I'm going in prepared, and with written orders from my endo.  You heal
better, faster, w/.less chance of infection if your BG is in control.  WE all
know that.
(And I do wonder--in my case--surely I'm not the only person w/diabetes to
have cataract surgery--and not the only pumper--so why the tizzy?  but never
mind.  I can't change the world, but I can keep my pump on.)

Best of luck to you--hang in there, & I hope all goes well,
Type I for 31 years, pumping 3+