[IP] Re: Bubbles in Insulin (was ITCHING)

The reason comes from basic physics:  gases are more
soluble in liquids at lower temperatures.  Have you
ever noticed that a warm Diet Coke goes flat more
quickly than a cold one?

If you fill a reservoir with cold insulin, the gases
that are in solution in the insulin may come out of
solution (in other words, form bubbles) as the
temperature of the insulin rises to room- or body-
temperature.  By filling the reservoir with
room-temperature insulin, you reduce one potential
source of bubbles.

If you never have problems with bubbles forming in
your reservoir, I wouldn't worry about this, but I
wanted to let you know the reasoning behind it.

Harvey Sydnor wrote:

I've never understood why people say this.  I keep my
insulin in the fridge, and I never have a problem with
bubbles.  I use the quicksets, don't know if that has
anything to do with it.

and Jan wrote:

BTW, the insulin should NOT be cool when putting it in
the pump as bubbles can form due to the temperature
change. I leave my bottle-in-use on the countertop
until empty. No problems.

Do You Yahoo!?