[IP] Diabetics dieting (was Keto candy bars)

I enjoyed Laura's post (most of which I've included)
and it resonated with me. I've had similar successes
with eating a low-carb diet, turning away from pastas
and breads to veggies and a little more meat. In the
past on NPH it was difficult to eat this way, since I
required insulin to eat and food to take insulin with.

Now I can eat these low-carb meals and maintain much
better control. I eat a lot of snacks throughout the
day - mostly nuts, fruit and boiled eggs, things like
Anyway, I was glad to hear someone speak my language
in all of this "diet" hullabaloo. We've become a
society of lazy overeaters looking for a quick
solution to weight and health problems. Finding a way
of eating that your body responds to is a lot of work,
but is very rewarding.

And while it's never been demonstrated that a
high-protein diet causes
kidney disease, it HAS been ABSOLUTELY established
that high blood
sugars cause kidney disease!
For me, I do eat low carb, and it keeps my blood
sugars in very tight
control --  I don't do "The Atkins Diet" or anyone
else's "Diet" per se, I
just avoid any food that gives me a bg spike.  My
meter lets me know
what foods I can eat and what foods I can't.  :-)

The original poster was concerned about fats.  It's
true that if you
out most of your carbs, you'll probably be eating more
fat as a
consequence.  But not all fats are bad!  I eat a lot
of nuts, which are
high in monounsaturated fat.  Salmon is another source
of "good fat"
which I like to eat whenever I can.  And as far as
saturated fat goes,
the recent NY Times article pointed out that while
saturated fat can
raise your bad cholesterol, it can also raise your
good cholesterol.
even that's not all bad.  (as far as trans-fatty acids
are concerned,
though, I don't think I've ever heard *anyone* say
anything good about
them!  Probably best to steer clear of those whenever

Anyway, those are just my thoughts on the subject.
Remember that we're
all different, and IMO the best "diabetic diet" is
whatever diet best
controls our blood sugars.  For some people, a
higher-carb diet may do
just that.  But for others, a low-carb diet can
provide better control
than they've been able to achieve any other way.

Do You Yahoo!?