[IP] Infections and bs

I ripped my earlobe pretty extensively while mountain biking on Saturday
(I know, an unusual injury!).  It's sewn back on and looking -- gross,
but okay.  A plus -- earlobes don't hurt too much when you injure them,
and they don't come into play much in daily life, so it's not really
debilitating :-|..

The Dr. told me to watch out for infection.  Besides extreme redness,
pus, whatever, can I count on my blood sugars to go high if I do get an
infection?  Will they always do this?

Type 1 since 1993, pumping since 1995, MM508