RE: [IP] Atkins Trashing

Jim [mailto:email @ redacted] wrote:

> Atkins and Bernstein trashing are a product of ignorance and are not
> supported by any facts.

Depends on what you mean by trashing.  There is a considerable amount of
legitimate criticism of both of these diets.  In any case, both Atkins and
Bernstein rely on testimonial rather than research to support their claims.
All well founded research supports the diet that is recommended by the
American Diabetes Association, National Institutes of Health, American Heart
Association, the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, and many

The oddest case in Bernstein's book, the one paper he strongly urges
practitioners to read (Garg, et al.) does *NOT* support Bernstein's claims
for low carbohydrate diets.

In any case, weight loss from either of these diets is from reduced
calories, not increased protein.  This has been well documented.  For more
on Atkins in particular, see Quackwatch the report on Atkins at Quackwatch
(http://www.quackwatch.com/01QuackeryRelatedTopics/lcd.html).  The
Quackwatch site (http://www.quackwatch.com) is also a good site for
information about how to detect quackery and other pseudoscience (which is
what both Atkins' and Bernstein's books are).

Jim Handsfield