Re: [IP] quick set problems

In a message dated 7/15/2002 8:49:01 AM Mountain Daylight Time,
email @ redacted writes:

> I was just wondering if anyone has noticed that that night
>  time blood sugars go WAY up when using the quick sets??
>  My 9 year old daughter who is very thin has recently switched to the
>  quicksets.  She loves them because she
>  can insert them herself, but we are having horrible numbers at night
>  (300-400!!).  The day numbers are fine-even if I correct all night and
>  the same set in.   With the Tenders that we were previously using her
>  were perfect!

SInce you are only getting highs at ONLY night I would say that it it's not
the set and your switch to the quick-set just happened to coincide with a
hormone spurts (the hormones get released during the night and having
nightiime highs like that, with numbers that are fine during the day) are
exactly what you see when hormones are the culprit.

When my daughter goes through these hormone spurts every 2-4 months (and
these are separate from mentrual cycles), they usually last anywhere from 4-9
nights . . . about all I can do is check her around midnight to 1 am, do a
correction bolus, and then correct every 2 hours until she finally comes back
into range.  BTW, my daughter uses Quick-sets, too -- and has for over a year
with great results (A1cs in the sixes, despite the raging hormones).

Pumpmama to Katie (11)  happily pumping with her Animas pump "Elvis" since