[IP] Medicare and Insulin

Hi Folks:
I have seen a lot here questioning whether or not Medicare covers insulin.
In April of 2000, the laws were changed in that if you were using an insulin
infusion pump and you had a physician's work order and a prescription for
the insulin from your doctor stating that you were on an insulin infusion
pump that they would cover 80% of your insulin needs.

Now I went through a lot of trouble to finally get this determined and to
have Medicare start paying for my insulin because lots of their customer
service people weren't even aware of this.  It goes through the Durable
Medical Equipment section of Medicare...

And please note that there is a specific code your doctor needs to put on
your RX as well as indicating whether you rent or own your pump.

This info will save you time and hassles.  All you need to do is find a
pharmacy that will be willing to accept assignment with medicare.  You will
pay them the 20% and they will receive the 80% from medicare.

If you need any further information please e mail me at the address below.

I hope this helps all those out there looking for these answers.

Kathy Bruckmeyer
email @ redacted
diab 35 yrs pumping 12/00