Re: [IP] carb count for corn-on-the-cob

On 14 Jul 2002 at 11:57, Michael Robinton wrote:

> On Sun, 14 Jul 2002, loretta k wrote:
> > Hi!
> > Does anyone know how to figure out the carb counts for
> > corn-on-the-cob?  The ears are so variable in size, as are the
> > sizes of the corn kernels themselves.
> > Do I try to figure out by weight?  Inches?  Number of kernels?  ;-)
> >

> The definitive method is to strip the kernels with a knife and measure by
> volume  -- sorry, don't know the carbs per unit volume, however this
> method will give consistent results. After you do it for a while, you can
> probably estimate by looking at the corn on the ear.
> Michael

The figures from USDA are

Volume                                  1 ear (avg)             1/2 cup
Weight               100 gm           77 gm                  82 gm
Carbs                25.11 gm        19.34 gm             20.59 gm

An alternative method would be to weigh the ear of corn before and after eating, thus obtaining the weight of corn consumed.     :>)