[IP] Long-term International Travel Info

Hi everyone,

I've been busy lately getting ready for my year-long (I may stay two years!)
study abroad in Spain.  In case any one else is thinking about going
overseas for an extended period of time, this information may come in

I contacted Minimed about getting a spare pump during the duration of my
trip.  I was told they have a loaner pool for people on vacation.  They took
down my information (name, destination, travel dates, etc) and said they
would contact me within three days with an answer as to whether I'd be able
to get one.  I received a message the next day, saying that they'll give me
a call two weeks before I leave to get a shipping address to send it to.
Big relief!  (Everyone else I'd heard of had only had the back-up pumps for
one or two weeks - not a whole year).

My next concern was obtaining supplies while overseas - the last time I was
in Europe and needed to be sent supplies from home, my parents had to pay
over $300 in taxes and shipping insurance.  Well, I contacted my insurance
company (CIGNA) to see if I could get all 12 months of my
supplies/prescriptions before leaving.  They said it would be fine, all I
need is a letter from my dad's company's benefits department (I'm on his
insurance) saying I need to take over enough supplies with me, and then list
all the prescriptions.  I can then go to a pharmacy and get the
prescriptions filled...  I'll have to pay 12 separate co-pays, but that's
better than the shipping charges!

Now that those two huge concerns are all taken care of, I just need to
figure out how to fit everything in my luggage!!

Persistance pays off!!

IDDM 14 years, MM 508 5/02

"Let me tell you the secret that has led me to my goal: my strength lies
solely in my tenacity."  --Louis Pasteur