[IP] Creatanine

Nobody can say that Diabetes is not the gift that gives.  Kidney problems
and Diabetes seem to go hand in hand.  In May, I was diagnosed with accute
(meaning sudden onset) kidney failure.  My Creatanin was 2.2 which was about
twice above normal values.  It took me a month to get my appointment with a
nephrologist.  But, it was well worth the wait.  I got a very thourough
physical and history taken.  I have had a doppler study done of my renal
arteries and a sonagram of both kidneys.  There was some talk of doing a
Creatanine Clearance Test that shows how much Creatanine your kidneys are
filtering into your urine.  It's a 24 hour test and is considered the gold

When I was at the Nephrologist office I received a lot of pamphlets on
kidney failure.  According to the pamphlets dialysis normally starts at 10
for most and at 5 for diabetics.  The train of thought is that diabetics are
already having health problems and doctors like to start early before the
diabetic's condition quickly turns sour.

On my last blood test, it was found that my Creatanine levels are in the
normal range again.  I will be continuing to be monitored and will see a
nephrologist on a follow-up basis.  Luckily I have a great nephrologist so
it won't be a bad thing to keep seeing her.

There is an alt.support.kidney-failure news group.  It's not as active as
I'd like to see it.  But it has definite promise.  Also The American Kidney
Foundation has a web site and so does The American Association of Kidney

If I can be of any further help, feel free to e-mail me as well as through
this list.