Re: [IP] Low blood sugar thread

I think it is healthy to talk about these things. Personally for me I would
prefer to live with a healthy respect to lows and keep my bs in tight
control and deal with the occassional low then to run high and have my
family and I deal with the complications that come later.

My mother is a type I and has been for almost 50 years. She has never taken
great care with her diabetes and now lives with complete blindness, no
kidney function...dialysis 3 times a week, severe heart problems, loss of
her left foot and severe neuropathy pain that is above her knees and no
feeling below her knees. She struggles every day to stay out of a
wheelchair.

My father who was dx last year as a type II but because he choose not to go
to a doctor for the last 20 years probably had diabetes for the last 5-7
years according to the doctor and he has almost caught up to my mother as
far as complications. He's undergoing surgery to lose his left leg at the
knee today because of an infection that has gone to the bone.

They are divorced and put alot onto both my brother and I in terms of their
needs and they are both 60 years old. It's like what I see others go through
with parents that are in their 90s. My brother is also type I and we see
from their example what life could be if we chose not to deal with and keep
tight control of the diabetes.

This spring I have a girlfriend with a 15 year old daugther that is type I
stay with me for a week. She was not taking care of her diabetes. She saw
from me how easy it is for me to deal with the pump and stay in control and
she also had to tag along to dialysis 3 times that week with my mother
because I was her ride and deal with my father. At the end of the week when
she went home she asked her mother to help her with the doctor and they are
now in the process of getting a pump. She told me that see where she could
be scared the wits out of her.

Gail

. I am afraid