[IP] ACE inhibitors

My doctor recently left the diabetes center where I'm a patient, he left a PA
in charge of things. At my visit with him he wanted to start me on ace
inhibitors to protect my kidneys. My tests all come back as normal.  I just
wonder about taking some med if it is not needed. I have read some studies on
this subject.  It seems to be to confusing because a large number of the
study group had elevated bp to start with. He said this practice is a
standard in Canada. Does any one take ace inhibitors without high bp to
protect your kidneys?