Re: [IP] water/dehydration (a little off-topic)

At least two days ago I responded to the initial water comment (just below),
related to dehydration, with the Wall St. Jour. article idea. Barbara
Bradley, (our)RN wanted more info.  I finally found a copy of the WSJ
article(!!!), which I am sending to Barbara as a pdf---anyone else want a
copy?  Happy to email one back to you.  In essence, there still is "no
scientific evidence that supports the claim"  (8 glasses of water/day).
HOWEVER, drinking plenty of water IS a good idea but the final sentence to
the article says that "nutritionists have come up with this guideline for
determining hydration needs:  Drink enough so you don't get thirsty." (By
the way, diabetes is even mentioned in the article....so this isn't
completely off-topic? 8^).....  )
>The rule of thumb in the medical community is 6 to 8> eight ounce glasses of
water per day......that's 48 to> 64 ounces, half gallon to a full gallon of
water per
day. <
>Anyone else read the Wall St. Journal article approx. 2 weeks ago that said
this was essentially "bunk" because there is no scientific proof about
dehydration and that the bottled water companies have pushed this idea to
skies to promote their product(s).  Old wives tale?<

(From: email @ redacted)
OK...call me old...but I remember this recommendation long before there were
'bottled water" companies.  I heard it in health class (elementary school)
and biology class (high school), and in physiology class (undergrad, and
graduate school). What scientific research did the WSJ cite?  Wonder how
many of the writers there have DM, renal failure, or experienced dehydration
and then checked their BG?
Whew, research project finished!