Re: [IP] Novolog

> In a message dated 7/11/02 5:22:40 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
> email @ redacted writes:
> > Because Lily has never done a study and applied to FDA for approval in pumps.
> >
> That's kinda strange isn't it.  Why do they start practically
> everybody on the pump using Humalog then?  Just curious.

Fast acting insulin has been shown to promote better control if used
in a pump. Until last September, Humalog was the only game in town.
Now there are two fast acting insulin-analogs. Novolog and Humalog.

BTW, the story I heard was that the FDA would not let Novo Nordisk
use the name NovoRapid for their new insulin-analog because FDA was
afraid people would be confused. NovoRapid was approved and sold in
many other countries before being approve by the FDA -- and existing
product. The result.... Novolog sounds similar to Humalog so the FDA
thought that would keep (really dumb) people from being confused
about the fact that it is a fast acting insulin-analog.

Isn't government grand???  :-)