[IP] Kidney failure diet I follow.....

<< Date: Wed, 10 Jul 2002 14:04:02 EDT
 From: email @ redacted
 Subject: [IP] (no subject)
      then what type of diet are you following for your kidney disease? >>

Personally, I am on a low potassium, low phosphorus, medium protein diet.
Lately I have been eating a lot of cereal and Nutragrain bars.  They are easy
to eat and can go anywhere.  Also the Honeynut Cheerios cereal bars.  I snack
on dry regular Cheerios.

If I do eat meat, it is usually chicken.  I will eat a steak every once in a
great while, but prefer to stay away from red meat.  I usually eat everything
around my meat first and leave it sitting on my plate.  My diet consists of a
lot of fruit (apples and grapes) and canned pineapple and peaches (I can eat
any canned fruit as they are WAY lower in potassium than fresh fruits).

Mostly only pre-dialysis patients are told to watch their protein intake as
it can save the kidney function that is left for as long as possible.  I was
limited to less than 9 grams of protein before I started on dialysis, but now
that I am on dialysis, my intake is not in question.