Re: [IP] HbA1C at home?

In a message dated 7/9/2002 1:57:59 PM Mountain Daylight Time,
email @ redacted writes:

> Has anyone used the A1c Now tester at home yet?  I see a lot of advertising
>  for doing it at home these days, wondering how many of us actually do it.
>  How hard is it, and does insurance pay for it?

We recently tried it out on the day of my daughter's last quarterly visit
(end of June).  It's pretty easy to use.  I paid for it myself -- did want to
hassle with insurance until we'd decided if we we sure we'd want to use it on
an ongoing basis.  We're not.

The reason is that the allowable variance for the test is +/- 1.5 points (NOT
%) from lab test results.  This means that if your a1c at the lab is a 6.0,
the a1c now test results could report anywhere from a 4.5 to a 7.5 and still
be within "acceptable" tolerances.  In my daughter's case, it was only off by
0.8, but this is still more of a variance than is acceptable to us . . .

Pumpmama to Katie