Re: [IP] Dr. Atkin's diet

From: Sue Kinzelman <email @ redacted>

<<<I'm wondering, for those of you who are on Dr. Atkin's diet, how do all
of your tests fare as far as cholesterol, A1C  and everything?  Does a
low carb diet, end up raising your cholesterol, etc. ?>>>

Here is the theory of low carb advocates:  Insulin is the bodys "Fat building
hormone". Reducing the amount of carbohydrates ingested means that insulin
levels in the body are also automatically lowered (as Type 1s will testify),
so the body cannot store too much fat. It doesnt matter how much fat you eat;
if there is no insulin available to store that fat then your lipids will
indeed improve and decrease.  According to this theory, dietary cholesterol
and fats are not the ones that raise blood lipids, but it is actually
carbohydrates and their insulin friends who play the leading role.

Please do not accept this theory as fact! Make sure your lipids are checked
before you start the diet, and then again after youve followed the diet for a
while, and see for yourself.

Rabbi Hirsch Meisels email @ redacted
Join our Kosher Low-Carb discussion list at