Re: [IP] Bruising at sites and blood in cannula

> I've been having lots of problems lately with my sites bruising and
> getting blood in the cannula after as little as 24 hours. I normally
> change my sites every 2 days and switched from Humalog to Novolog
> about a month ago. Even though there is bruising and blood, often my
> BGs are fine. Still, I end up changing my set, just in case. I use
> the Comfort sets. I have tried others that go straight in and those
> were no better. I only use my abdomen as other areas, such as my
> thigh, not only bruise, but take weeks to heal.
> Suggestions, anyone? I appreciate any advice!
Brusing and blood in the cannula happen now and then but should not
be a regular occurence. I'm sure there could be many reasons, but the
most common that comes to mind is that you are inserting the set too
deep. Many people report that the Sil/Comfort/Tender set works best
for them if inserted at a more shallow angle. It does need to be
deeper than just "skin deep", but not much. The other thing is where
it is inserted. If a set is inserted over muscle tissue that moves,
and the movement is in the same or similar direction to the insertion
direction, the end of the set tends to creep around and may even
"inch" its way out if you are very active. This can cause localized
tissue damage and bleeding around the cannula -- bruising. Moving the
position of the insertion left,right,up,down a little and making sure
that the angle of insertion is perpendicular to the movement of
underlying muscles will help eliminate problems of this nature.