Re: [IP] Higher insulin requirement with Novolog

> I have had a different reaction from Novolog from most of those who
> have posted--in the area of insulin requirements.  My need for
> insulin has increased with Novolog--my basals are up about .2 units
> an hour, and my boluses for meals have really increased.  Last
> night, I took 11 units for what normally would have been covered
> with 6 units of Humalog.
> Does it take awhile for the Novolog to work?
> On the PLUS side, I also have discovered that my sharp spikes of
> blood sugars have calmed considerably, making me quite willing to
> stick with Novolog despite the increased insulin requirement (but
> also making me apprehensive about switching to the Paradigm this
> Saturday).  I'm averaging closer to 60 units a day versus 40-45 with
> Humalog.
> Has anyone with an average of 60 units a day switched to the
> Paradigm? If so, how do you feel about it, and how often do you
> change sites?

There are a "few" others that have reported similar results with
Novolog -- this is the exception rather than the rule. While there is
still insufficient data to form any real opinions, I rather suspect
that there are small percentage of people that have some sort of
sensitivity to Novolog. We know this is true of Humalog and I've
heard one report about Lantus. All of these products are
insulin-analogs, not true insulins. They have some alteration in
their molecular structure that makes them different than insulin and
it appears that a few people recognize these alterations as
"foreign". Fortunately, the same folks don't react in the same way to
all these products. I've never heard of anyone being sensitive to
more than one of these at a time.