[IP] Switching pumps

I have a question for those pumpers who have switched from one brand or
model of pump to another (not counting the Paradigm upgrade).  Did your
insurance cover the cost of the new pump if you made the switch before the
warranty was up on the old one or before the old one broke and was
unrepairable?  If so, what did you have to do to get them to pay for the
new pump?  I was recently told by a representative from a pump company that
my current pump had to break and no longer be able to be repaired before I
could switch to their brand of pump (I'm keeping names out of this).  Just
wondering how others handled switching before this happened.  I have
Michigan BC/BS Community Blue PPO insurance which covers 100% of my
supplies.  Thanks.