[IP] Re: Lantus Side effects etc.........

After being on Lantus for a year, I never had any mental effects that I was
aware of using it- I did find that I became somewhat concerned over it's
effectiveness when left out-  Simply put, if I had a bad day with high BS'g
unexplained, the Lantus got thrown out- It was NOT common in my case...just a
few times- For me, I would not take a day off the pump using Lantus-  It
takes a couple of days to calibrate-  For just a pump day off, not 24 hrs,
but maybe 10-12 hours, I find that just going to Humulin R every four hours,
calculating my dose at 1.5 times what I would use in the pump for the same
time frame, works for me- If I eat a big meal, I just take more R- My control
is typically in the double digits using this method but I test EVERY hour
when I do this- I don't use a pump site (existing site) for taking my R when
off the pump- I use my arms and try to give my pump sites a break- Of note, I
found that just a few units can make a big difference with how well the
Lantus worked-  I took about 70 units a day- If I had a leak after an
injection, or ended up taking a few units more because of slow day planned, I
paid for it- My BS'g swings, depending on my physical activity of the day,
were a lot better controlled via my Humalog injections...after awhile, I just
took the same amount of Lantus no matter what and adjusted my BS'gs with
short acting insulin and diet- I hope this insight helps but it is not
intended to be medical advice, just shared experience-

Bryon Veal