[IP] ADA - "disabled"

I am very close to the world of "disabilities" as my son is a paraplegic
(technically though not practically quadriplegic) due to a car accident
resulting in his paralysis from the chest down.  Though there is a resistance
to the term "disability" there is also a need connected to it.  My son resists
the term "disabled" though he is paralyzed and in a wheelchair.  He works full
time, drives with hand controls, water and snow skis with "sit skis", hunts and
just brought down an elk, and on and on, but still, there are times he needs
accommodations.  No disability is generic.  As diabetics, we all have varying
degrees of control and need for assistance, understanding or accommodation.
When first diagnosed 8 years ago in El Paso, TX, no one around knew of diabetes
or its idiosyncracies.  It was considered by my boss (the President of the
organization) to be ridiculous that I might need to eat between 12 and 2 pm
when things were busy.  Thank God for ADA!  At the time, I was not on a pump,
and scheduling was crucial.  I cannot tell you how many times I shook and
stumbled for words during a meeting when all I needed was a few carbs.  Please
do not consider it a negative to be classed with the "disabled."  The word
sucks, but the need is genuine and must be dealt with.  We must accept what our
needs are and demand that those needs be met, regardless of where that puts us
in the classification status.  Unfortunately, as we all know, there are many of
our peers and superiors who have no clue of our needs.  We must be ready to
educate without being offensive or whiney...  only my opinion.  I am strong and
ready to deal with my diabetes, but also ready to request and demand the
necessities for my survival.  My DISABLED son has taught me much in the 14
years we have dealt with it, and I continue to learn.  DISABLED is NOT a dirty
word.  There are prettier ones, but much time has been wasted on
the "politically correct."  I am happy to receive individual messages regarding
this subject.  I am a proud mother and a proud and able diabetic.