[IP] Disability issues

On 7/4/02 6:40 AM, "insulin-pumpers-digest" <email @ redacted> wrote:

> Date: Thu, 4 Jul 2002 03:24:11 -0500
> From: "Jimm Lubenow" <email @ redacted>
> Subject: Re: [IP] is diabetes considered to be a disability
> IMO, diabetes is a disability. A few years back I was trying to get employed
> by a coffee distribution company as a reginal manager. Since they were in
> distribution, one of their hiring policies was to pass a DOT physical. I
> failed since I was diabetic. I called the company and they said sorry. I
> wrote to my senators about the DOT physical guideline and was told that
> diabetes is under the ADA, however, it doesn't apply to government agencies.
> So I was out of luck. I complained to the american diabetes association, my
> senator, and everyone else who would listen, but got nowhere. SO, I was
> trying to be disabled, and it didn't help me then. But Im glad that if my
> son should develope this horrible disease, he would be given special
> considerations at school. Just my humble opinion.

Your letter got me because I find it ironic the very government who actually
has an ADA would also discriminate. I went to the EED (A government-run
employment agency) and while all the other applicants I could see there were
going on from window A to window B and window C etc, I turned in MY app, and
was handed phone numbers to the Braille Institute and Dale-McIntosh
disability services, then sent on my way.

When I went through the tests and such for the Department of Rehabilitation,
the tests were timed and geared for those who could see normally. Untimed
tests -which they gave me because the ADA said they had to, netted me a
'Higher than Average' score, but they could find nowhere to place me! Good
g-d people, what are they thinking? They're supposed to assess the ability
to work and I demonstrated an ability -primarily in computers and
technology, yet no dice, would they place me in a training program or a job!

I don't find it curious at all that folks would 'fight' the Label of
Disability, many years *I* tried to hide it as well. The very word "Invalid"
when split vocally, would come out as "In-VA-lid" or 'having no validity'
What a shame for our Civilized Society!

--The geek shall inherit the earth!
Jenny Sutherland