[IP] Disability?

On 7/4/02 6:40 AM, "insulin-pumpers-digest" <email @ redacted> wrote:

> Date: Wed, 3 Jul 2002 23:44:01 EDT
> From: email @ redacted
> Subject: [IP] Is diabetes considered a disability
> If you want your diabetes to control your life instead of you controlling
> your diabetes, then you are a disability unto yourself.
> It only controls you if you let it.  It's all in your mind.
> YES, my diabetes has led me to have kidney failure (which is considered a
> disability) but I don't let dialysis control my life either.  I just see it
> as something that makes me stronger.  I could go out on disability instead of
> work, but then what the hell would I do with all my free time?  I can only
> spend so much time sitting around on my butt, and no need to feel sorry for
> yourself, it just makes you weak, so get up off your butt and do what you
> want to do!!!
> It's all in your mind !!!!!

As a recipient of SSI I do not sit around on my butt all day. There's a
house to keep, 6 dogs to tend to and each bus trip out to get supplies and
all is over an hour each way, and there's volunteer work.....Whether you
have a 'disability' or not, folks will always take your labor for free.

Whilst most of this thread is true in theory, some people literally have to
play the 'disability card' simply to get basic rights (Thinking more along
the cases of kids in school being denied their BG checks and snacks etc. as
an example) *I* personally found the D more 'disabling' when I was on the
regimented shot & eat routine. On a pump and a 5 second meter, I tell no
one, I just do the d*** test and be done with it I eat if I have to, and say

No employer wants me because of my eyesight trouble from birth. Diabetes has
been the least of my troubles at all. The employers themselves have said
"Diabetes isn't the problem, It's your eyesight and liability issues here".

I find it more of a shame that we have to pull the 'label' in order to get a
few simple courtesies in this life. No one can just be 'nice' anymore, it
seems, so we have to 'fight' for everything. 'Prove ourselves' harder,
'fight' for the most basic of housing and jobs.

The worst 'disability' of all is Prejudice.

Pocket PC Use Windows CE, Home users, are using ME and business users use
NT. So if you are using Windows, you can get into CE ME NT which can become
very heavy. <VBG>

Jenny Sutherland