Re: [IP] is diabetes considered to be a disability

At 08:33 AM 7/4/2002 -0500, you wrote:
>Actually, here in Canada you can get a tax break for having this sort of
>disability.  At least you can if your child requires extra care.  That is only
>fair if you asked me.  However, unless your diabetes has left you unable to
>walk, sarcastic little comments like getting handicapped parking tags is just

It sure the hell is.  Ahh shit I know I should keep my mouth shut but I
just can't.  These snotty little comments are really truly MEAN!!  I sure
as hell no one finds out the way I have about the need of handicap
parking.  ARG!!!  I was in an accident 9 months ago.  Thank God my walking
err not walking very well at all and not long distances is only temporary
but I tell ya those handicap parking spaces can sure be a life saver.  I
have always been really annoyed with those that use the spots that don't
have the sticker and / or really don't need it.  I look forward to the day
I can hang mine up in the trash, at least I have the option where others do
not.  It has also been an eye opening experience for me and I am on a
mission to attempt to changes things here in AZ.  Half the time there are
not enough handicap parking places or idiots that aren't handicap are using
them.  And yes I mean selfish, inconsiderate idiots!!

Just the other day I went to the pharmacy and both spots were taken by two
vehicles that had no sticker.  I had had it and wasn't in a hurry so I
called the police.  To make a long story shorter, I ended up having to call
this other number and request if I wanted a call back.  Which I did.  I
learned that the police department sends these assholes a nice little
letter explaining the fines etc. of parking in a handicap space.  The
police officer told me that only two people can issue tickets, Police
Officers and ACE workers.  I jokingly said, so how can I become one.  She
says, well you can volunteer and then you too can give
tickets.  Woooooooooo Hoooooooooo.  I can't wait.  I will take such
pleasure in handing out those tickets.  What really ticked me off too, was
one of the people came out to the car that was parked illegally.  Young
gal, caring a baby.  I asked her if she had a sticker, she said no.  I
won't tell ya what I said.  Anyway her excuse was that it was too hot and
she "didn't wan to leave the baby in the car and she was too heavy to carry
further."   Now that's a good one.  I told her that I had to park a ways
away and because of her I could lose my million dollar legs!

>  Do you know how many people suffer or are in wheel chairs and cannot even
>walk that short distance from the parking space unattended?  I think that you
>need to get over your phobia of what a disability really is.

>getting off my soap box now....

why?  :-)  I liked it.

To address what some others have said, I do agree that it is not the
diabetes itself that is disabling it's the complications.

Ok, I'll get off my soap box.