RE: [IP] humalog refrigeration

> At 10:41 PM 7/3/02, Michael wrote:
> >E.Lilly specifically states that their insulins (all of them) should
> >be referigated if possible to extend their life. At normal room
> >temperature, Humulin and Humalog lose appx 1-1 1/2 % of strength per
> >month. The process is very non-linear. In a frig, the same
> >deterioriation takes months. At elevated temperatures like a truck or
> >hot mail box, insulin can be destroyed in a matter of hours. This is
> >direct from E.Lilly.
> I was told by a representative from E.Lilly that if kept
> refrigerated and unopened, the insulin should stay good until the
> expiration date on the box.  Un-refrigerated and/or opened, you
> should use it up in 28 days or dispose of it.  My endo also
> recommends the same.

The representative should check more closely with their own medical
director. The letter I received from E.Lilly was very specific and
came from the person in charge of this stuff company wide.

Insulin is an unstable molecule that is heat sensitive. The reason it
expires is because the strength deterioriates over time at room