Re: [IP] FW: The Pump Market - A Market in Turmoil: ADA Highlights

In a message dated 7/3/2002 11:48:57 PM Mountain Daylight Time,
email @ redacted quoted David Kliff:

> 1. The Doc's love Lantus.
>  As I've reported before Lantus is the newest long acting insulin from
>  Aventis (NYSE:AVE). The basic problem for pumps is that using Lantus
>  patients can now achieve control with less hassle.  No calibration
>  issues, no counting carbs and it cost less.

The Docs may love Lantus, but Mr. Kliff obviously doesn't know anything about
living with diabetes and using Lantus -- achieve control with less hassle and
no counting carbs?  try 6-8 shots a day (and how do you achive control and
figure out your Humalog/Novalog doses if you're not counting carbs ???) . . .
and what about the precise dosing and variable dosing needed for things like
dawn phenonmenon, exercise, etc. etc. that the dose of Lantus you took last
night can't adjust for ?!?!?!

I won't take issue with what he had to say about the business side of things,
but, man, I wish this guy knew a little more about what he was talking about
re: Lantus vs. Pumping . . . I mean I'm glad Lantus is there because if Katie
was ever forced to go off pump for a long period of time (and believe me
she'd have to be FORCED) we'd never go back to NPH -- but there's no way the
Lantus could come close to "Elvis" (her Animas pump) in terms of control and
easy of use .  .  .

Pumpmama to Katie