Re: [IP] is diabetes considered to be a disability

In a message dated 7/3/2002 12:51:59 PM Mountain Daylight Time,
email @ redacted writes:

> If someone refers to me as disabled or challenged,  they just might be on
>  receiving end of a left jab or a right hook.  <snip>
>  I would love to hear comments, criticism or other thoughts on this subject.

I think (as a mother of an 11 year old with diabetes) that it's a good idea
to look at the definition of disability within the law before getting
offended about the "label" of having a disability.  Without the insulin my
daughter gets via her pump or injections,  she is disabled (and eventually
DEAD) by any definition of the word.  The ADA helps insure that she receives
reasonable accommodations so that this "disability" doesn't get in the way of
this very capable and talented young lady living life to the fullest and
contributing to the world by using all the abilities she posseses . . .

Just my 2 cents
Pumpmama to Katie