[IP] Re: Mold & Mildew

Many health problems can be caused by mold and mildew.  Some houses have been
condemned if mold is found growing in the walls.  Mind you, the following is
an extreme example, but I know it to be true.  I have known two diabetics who
have been made very sick by inhaling mold into their nose.  Neither of these
diabetics have had their blood sugars under control.  Both of my diabetic
friends developed a mold growing in their nasal passages which became very
dangerous.  It was my understanding that this particular mold is found
naturally in the soil of some areas of the country.  Unfortunately, one of my
friends was blinded by the mold because it spread into the eyes and
eventually into the inside of his skull.  He underwent months of treatment in
a hyperbolic chamber to get rid of the mold.  He has since passed away from
complications of diabetes.

The other friend got to the doctor in time to have surgery to clean the mold
before it spread to other areas.  I talked to the endo who was treating this
friend.  I asked if this was something diabetics needed to be concerned
about.  He told me that most people do not inhale enough dust containing the
mold spores to be that concerned.  My friend was a farmer and was not wearing
a mask to cover his nose while he was plowing the fields.  I was told by the
doctor that uncontrolled diabetics have more sugar present in their soft
tissues, such as the nasal passages.  Mold loves to grow in this sort of
environment.  He said that taking normal precautions, such as wearing a mask
when mowing the yard or working in soil, would prevent most problems.  He
also added that keeping the blood sugars under control would help.  He did
mention that it is unhealthy for any individual to inhale spores constantly
and that the environment needed to be checked for mold if a constant musty
smell was present.  Again, this was an unusual event to know two people who
developed this condition.  One of them lived in Texas and was a farmer.  The
other lives in Alabama and is still a farmer.