[IP] How to get more than one bottle or insulin a month

  I know this is a bit late on this thread, but today I had a problem
getting 2 bottles of Novolog for Kayla.  Previously one bottle was
enough, but she's growing and needs just over one bottle a month now.
 Went to the pharmacy and was told that the ins. refused to give her
more than one even though the endo wrote it for 2 bottles.  HOWEVER,
after about half an hour we figured out how to get it approved, so this
is for those people still having trouble getting more than one bottle
even though the RX is written for more.

It turns out that the ins. co. knows Kayla's basal rate (I guess they
get it from the endo) and they base her total monthly "insulin flow" on
her basal rate.  Perhaps this is the same with other insurance cos???  I
explained to the pharmacist that the basal only represents about half of
the total insulin she uses, plus 20 units get wasted every time we
change a site which is every 3 days (didn't need to tell him we stretch
it past 3 days).  He called them back and they gave him a 'code' to
enter in the computer and the extra bottle would be approved.  It turns
out that the computer has to be told that the insulin is for pump use
(sounds ridiculous to me) to override the 'flow rate' that it uses to
determine how many bottles you really need.  It also was ridiculous to
me that they didn't already know it was for the pump - I mean, they had
her basal rate right?  Why else would you have a basal rate?

Anyway, if you are still having trouble, tell the pharmacist it is for
pump use and to get the 'code' to override the computer.

mom to Kayla, 9yo, pumping 5 years