[IP] Mold/Mildew

Can anyone tell me how harmful mold & mildew are as far as illness. Our building has sprung MAJOR leaks with the rain we have had the last few days. The carpet recovery people are working on it - we have fans blowing, and dehumidifiers going. The workman have pulled ceiling tiles and insulation and are pulling apart the walls in the outer offices where the water seeped in under the wall etc etc - but there is a strong smell of mildew and I am wondering if it is more detrimental to me as a person with a chronic condition.

Linda & Dax