RE: [IP] humalog refrigeration

At 09:06 AM 7/3/2002 -0400, you wrote:
>I have mentioned this before and I will restate it again today's insulin
>DOES NOT require refrigeration.  Today's insulin is a synthetic product.
>Medical technology has replaced the pork (and other animal)insulin that we
>were once required to use and it required  refrigeration. In fact if you
>refrigerate your insulin than put it in your pump you can get bubbles.

I beg to differ!

Humalog will start to denature at temperatures above 86 degrees.  Dependent
on where you live you may not want to leave your Humalog or any other
insulin at room temperature.  Where I live the summer temps run to 115 and
I do not cool my house when no one is home.  It is often close to 100 in
the house during the middle of the day.

In the Lilly brochure for Humalog it says "Humalog should be stored in a
refrigerator", it "can be kept unrefrigerated, up to 28 days, as long as it
is kept as cool as possible, below 86 degrees" .

Tnx, Corky