RE: [IP] humalog refrigeration

Melissa White [mailto:email @ redacted] wrote:

> I have mentioned this before and I will restate it again
> today's insulin
> DOES NOT require refrigeration.  Today's insulin is a
> synthetic product.
> Medical technology has replaced the pork (and other
> animal)insulin that we
> were once required to use and it required  refrigeration. In
> fact if you
> refrigerate your insulin than put it in your pump you can get bubbles.

>From the PDR:

Storage -- Humalog should be stored in a refrigerator (20 to 80C [360 to
460F]), but not in the freezer. If refrigeration is impossible, the vial or
cartridge of Humalog in use can be unrefrigerated for up to 28 days, as long
as it is kept as cool as possible (not greater than 300C [860F]) and away
from direct heat and light. Unrefrigerated vials and cartridges must be used
within this time period or be discarded. Do not use Humalog if it has been

Jim Handsfield