[IP] pregnancy and frustration about control

Hi. I haven't posted or read IP in a while,
but I've got a new dilemma and am hoping for
some reassurance from others who have been
through the same thing.

The good news: I am pregnant, after two
years of planning and 8 months of actively
trying. I'm very excited, and so is my
husband! My first prenatal visit is scheduled
for Monday the 8th, but last summer before
we started trying, I went to a perinatal
office that specializes in high-risk preg-
nancies to talk about diet and blood sugar
target ranges for pregnancy, which of course
are lower than for non-pregnant diabetics.
My control is usually quite good, especially
since I went on the pump. My last HbA1c was
6.0%, which is the best it's ever been.

The bad news: my control is not as good as
I would like. It's not awful -- the numbers
I'm getting would not upset me if I weren't
pregnant. But I'm just entering my second
month of pregnancy and I know that this is
the most critical period of the pregnancy
as far as the chance of birth defects is
concerned. (I'm 38, and will be 39 by the
time the baby is born, which also increases
the risk of birth defects.) Even though I'm
doing everything I can think of, I'm not
meeting the goals I had for control during
pregnancy. For example, the last four days
in a row I've woken up with a fasting bg
ranging from 136 - 147, even though I've
adjusted my overnight basals the last two
nights and checked during the night. I've
also had several post-meal spikes up over
200, which I've caught and treated right away.

The books on pregnancy and books on diabetes
that I've consulted so far are no help. All
they talk about is the importance of keeping
blood sugar between 65 - 95 (fasting) and
under 130 within an hour after a meal -- not
what to do if you're not meeting those goals.
(One book on pregnancy said that diabetic
women should keep blood sugar between 80-87
during pregnancy. Sheesh. Get real!)

So, to those of you who have actually done
this, how much should I really be worrying?

/Janet Lafler