[IP] Re: DrugDigest E-Bulletin: Depression Affects Progression and Outcome of Diabetes

I just received this in my e-mail and nodded my head in agreement.    The
complications that I developed in the course of my now 47 years of diabetes
all occurred following  times of deep depression, i.e .  dealing with
abandonment issues, (my father's idea of dealing with my diabetes when I was
17, was to dump me on my doctor who would put me in the hospital for a
weekend till my parents got  back from their country house;  marital
problems, multiple pregnancies  ending in stillbirth or death soon after
birth; and the ultimate depression following the eventual death of my mother
from Alzheimer's disease.  I could barely  eat for nearly a year and
retinopathy and neuropathy set in.  The good news is that with psychiatric
help and a loving sponsor in the  twelve step program I joined soon after, I
recovered. My sponsor's son was diabetic and she helped me face my own
reality by giving me the attention my parents had been unable to give me.
Facing the reality of my diabetes, getting on the pump,  receiving help from
insulin Pumpers on a daily basis and realizing that only unasked questions
are wrong,   I am feeling better at the age of  61 than I did in my teens.

I would like to say that genuine support truly improves the outcome of
diabetes!  Thanks, gang.

Denise Guerin
Type 1 47 years
Minimed 507 4 years