At 04:14 PM 7/31/2001 -0400, you wrote:
>In a message dated 7/31/01 11:55:13 AM Pacific Daylight Time,
>email @ redacted writes:
><< hey all three read plasma, not whole blood  :O)  I know, it gets
>  also, if you talk to the meter companies, they say NOT TO use the same
>  for back to back readings.  doesnt make sense to me either, but they say to
>  use a differetn finger.....something about interstitual fluid or something.
>I read the bottles of all three and they are all read whole blood.  I have
>also done three different fingers (one for each meter) and still get the same

I think we are beginning to get confused by the words here.

All the home test meters analyze (ie. read) whole blood. You apply whole
blood to all of them. You do not separate it in plasma and cells before
analyzing it. However, all the free glucose in this blood is dissolved in
the plasm and some meters (FreeStyle, FastTake, Ultra) are calibrated to
report the amount of glucose as the concentration in the plasm. Some meters
(one touch Profile) on the other hand report the number as the
concentration in the entire blood sample. Both type meter are measuring the
same thing (ie. free glucose which is dissolved in the plasma) but since
the plasm is a slightly smaller volume (89-90%) than the entire blood
sample the reported concentration for the same amount of glucose is
slightly higher (+12%) than for meters that report the concentration
calibrated against whole blood.