[IP] Re: insulin-pumpers-digest V5 #323

In a message dated 7/31/01 1:18:00 PM, email @ redacted writes:

<< Hey all.  I got my MM 508 today.  I am so excited.  I watched the video and
feel so much better about the training (or lack there of).   But I do have a
question....how many of you use the square wave and dual wave bolus?  Can you
please give me some examples of times when you would use these as opposed to a
normal bolus.     Thanks for bearing with me.

i used to use the mini-med 507 and often used the square wave bolus because i
have severe autonomic neuropathy which delays my digestion of food...
it was also recommended to me to use when eating a "holiday" meal ....(when
you will be sort of snacking all day long......)
unfortunately,  after a year on the pump i was not doing any better than
before (using multiple injections of lantus and humalog)
its been two years and im starting to wonder if i shouldnt give it another
due to my unstable digestion , i pretty much avoid carbs altogether!!!!
(which is very difficult to do...)
im considering an islet tranplant trial
but it looks like i wont be able to afford that (the one in minnesota would
cost me about $30,000 with airfares once a month, boarding, and meals...)