RE: [IP] meter testing

Jennifer Sutherland [mailto:email @ redacted] wrote:

> Out of three days *I* had one DEX reading, not corroberated
> with the CGMS.

Even more than YMMV is that your *METER'S* mileage may vary!  Home test
meters have a precision of approximately +/- 20% (that's an approximation of
the real standard).  That includes the CGMS.  When you get two meters that
can have that much variability, then it's not surprising that one gets
different readings.  What is actually surprising is the number of times
there is good correlation between meters.

Moral: it is not appropriate to compare readings from different home glucose
meters (or CGMS).  To check accuracy and/or precision, they must be compared
to a moderate complexity *LAB* glucose test, adjusting as necessary for
whole blood/serum differences.

Jim Handsfield
email @ redacted OR