[IP] Re: changing basals in 7yr old

Janice wrote:
We just recently had to make more adjustments as we watched his [7 yr old Paul]
numbers skyrocket. He's now 12:1 for breakfast; 20:1 between breakfast and
dinner and 15:1 for bedtime snack. We also had to jack up his basals
drastically. Since going on the pump one year ago this month, his ratios had
been .2 between 7 a.m. and 7 p.m. and .3 between 7 a.m. and 7 p.m. This worked
like a charm. But this summer, as I mentioned, his numbers skyrockete. We not
only had to hike the bolus formula but we had to increase basals. He's now at
.6 from 7 p.m. to 8 a.m., .2 between 8 a.m. and 7 p.m. We'll still tinkering
but we're almost there. Anyone else see such a drastic increase in insulin
usage in just a few weeks' time?
My son Luke, 6-1/2 yrs, has been pumping since Mar 2001.  Just when we got
things "stable", he went through a big growth spurt that changed his levels,
and 2 weeks after that, his insulin requirements came down about 0.1u/hr above
where they had been.  This was going on for most of June - it took us about
1-1/2 weeks into his growth spurt to get adjusted for that, and then it
dropped.  Took about another 1-1/2 weeks to get adjusted in, and he's now been
stable for over a month.   At first I couldn't figure out if it was just summer
stuff or what, but other parents at camp commented on similar things happening
with their kids.  Sounds like a growth spurt, as long as he's well and not on
any new medications.

Shelly V., mom to Luke, 6, pumping Mar01, dx'd Oct99.

Do You Yahoo!?