[IP] Re: Difference in meters

In a message dated 7/28/01 12:20:26 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
email @ redacted writes:

<< I liked the fact or getting a free meter ( they even gave me one for
school too), but I don't know if I can trust the readings ( I tested the
strips before using them with the testing solution they supplied and it
showed that they were good)
     Has anyone who uses a Freestyle had any problems with them? >>

I think it is really important to have faith in your meter.
I was getting a second Elite meter a few years ago (the first tested twice
against the lab was extremely accurate) and it read quite differently from
the first using the same fingerprick.  The telephone rep said to use
different pricks, etc.  In the end they sent me another one and I still
didn't have faith in it, as it read different from the first one.  However,
eventually I used a drop of blood taken from Claire's vein at the lab and all
three meters had almost identical readings!  (Squeezing the finger to get a
bigger sample can affect your reading).
I have always kept that first Elite (60 second countdown) to measure any
other meter against!  But now we are using a One Touch Ultra, which like our
first Elite, is almost identical to the lab readings.
While in the UK we had to use a Dex meter (couldn't get Elite strips covered
under the health insurance).  The Dex kept breaking so we had 3 in 2 years.
They never read anywhere close to our 60 second Elite--I had kept some strips
for it for emergency use.

Barbara, Mum of Claire 7