[IP] morning highs, lack of sleep

My 6 yr old son Andrew  was dx @ 14 mo. and has been pumping almost 2 yrs
with the Disetronic and Rapid 6 sets.

We have always had difficulties in the morning. Our situation seems a bit
different than most though so I'd love to hear from anyone that has the
same thing happen. He will wake up with great #'s (love that pump!) and
will stay level (even for a couple of hours) until he eats. Regardless of
what time he wakes up or eats, his first meal always requires twice as
much insulin as he takes the rest of the day. It usually takes about 2
hrs and then I have to watch for the drop. Higher protein in the mix does
seem to help (and cereal is always brutal, even the low glycemic)  but
after 5 yrs we've just come to accept that he'll wake up @ 100, eat
breakfast and hit a 300 before he's back to 100 within 3 hrs. Does that
make sense? Any one else?

We have also found that his numbers are more difficult to control when
he's overly tired....usually Fri nites. (Very noticable when started
Kindergarten last yr and no longer takes a nap.)

Hope this helps.

Cari Ecklund (Tacoma, WA)